Monday, February 2, 2015

Foreign Languages

So we all know how important it is to properly learn english. It's in every facet of our lives as Americans. However, I don't think our country stresses enough the value of learning a foreign language. In today's world, more and more people are immigrating out of third world countries to join the citizens of more prominent nations, such as the United States or england. That in and of itself is a good reason to study a foreign language as a child. However, I believe there are many other reasons we should all learn at least one language other than english. For one, I believe it could be a huge step towards fighting global racism. (I'm not talking about the overplayed black versus white racism that is so prevalent in american media.) Racism stems from the most primal of sources in human beings: fear of the unknown. (This is mostly a subconscious feeling at this point in time). Learning a foreign language helps combat this in it's very nature due to the fact that to truly get a grasp of any language, you have to learn and study the culture behind the language. This helps bring further understanding of other people and may help bridge the gap between bitter enemies. The second major reason why it's important to learn foreign languages is more academic in nature. Studies show that children who either grow up bilingual or are taught a second language from a younger age tend to receive better grades throughout their entire academic career.

2 comments:

  1. I really like this approach to learning a second language. Does it explain, then, why Americans are so resistant to learning a second language, especially when we want everyone else to learn our language?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that Americas resistance to learning foreign languages, and our insistence everyone else learns ours, comes more from the overarching elitist mentality of our nation. We are told from childhood we are the best. Our country is the best. Everyone that doesn't live in America wishes they could. That type of mentality, while amazing for patriotism, also makes it so that we are less accepting of foreign ideas.

    ReplyDelete